Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Another Newbie

I've been prowling the Internet for some new recipes to try. Yes, it's true, a SAHM's life does have boring days. Not often, mind you, especially now that Charlee is hell-bent to get into EVERY thing in our condo....but some days she's lazy and Mommy has some "me" time to cruise recipe blogs or new cookbooks I pick up at the library. John laughs at me every time I come home with my "book" bag full. And somehow it always ends up that I have 1-2 actual READING books and the rest (usually at least 4-5) are all cookbooks. But hey, we've got some GREAT new recipes from my hunting expeditions through the vast and dusty cookbook aisle at our little tiny library!!!

I was flipping through channels last week while Charlee was taking a nice long nap, and came across the last 5 minutes of Rachel Ray, just as she was pulling the most delicious looking thing I've ever seen out of a Crock Pot. So, I, of course, hopped on my handy-dandy laptop and pulled up her website and the recipe. You can find her version here (http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/slow-cooker-recipe-asian-pepper-steak/) but I changed a few things AND only made a 1/2 batch, so we could make sure we liked it first, so here is MY version:

Rachael Ray Crock-Pot Pepper Steak (My Version)

1.5 lb minute steak
1.5 Tbsp cornstarch
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 tsp ginger (the seasoning powder stuff)
1/2 large onion, sliced
1 red pepper, seeded and sliced
1 green pepper, seeded and sliced
4 oz tomato sauce
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/3 cup soy sauce
dried cilantro
lime juice

*I cut my minute steaks into bite-sized pieces and browned until almost done.

*Place the meat in the Crock Pot and sprinkle with the cornstarch. Stir the steak around until you can no longer see the powder on the meat.

*Add garlic, ginger, onion, peppers, tomato sauce, brown sugar and soy sauce to the Crock Pot and stir well.

*Cover and cook on desired temperature. Because I used the minute steaks and cooked them almost completely in the skillet, it only took mine about an hour on low....and I stirred it often...I know this is a Crock Pot sin, but well, I was doing it my way!

*Spoon meat, peppers and any remaining sauce over rice. Sprinkle with dried cilantro and do a little squirt of lime juice, then mix together.


This is a REALLY great meal, and so simple to make. I'm sure you could just cut out the Crock Pot and make it all in a single skillet, and I'll probably try that the next time I make it and let you guys know how it turns out!!! Good luck and happy cooking!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
SAHM to a beautiful, wonderful, miracle princess named Charlee Jean. Married to my high school sweetheart for over 6 years now, and expecting another miracle baby in October 2011